The old town hall of the village of DeLorimier Originally published in Le Plateau, a news organization specializing in Montreal history. Article put on line on November 17, 2006
The annexation of the village of DeLorimier in Montreal
It is into 1870 that the new village of Coast-of-the-Visitation is formed, with in the center the street Papineau, between the streets Mount-Royal and Rachel.
In 1895, the village is baptized in the honor of the DeLorimier patriot, and continuous to develop until the annexation in Montreal on May 29, 1909. The village of DeLorimier counts at this time a population of 7200 hearts.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Montreal knows one period of annexation and growth without precedent. The village of DeLorimier, located around the streets Papineau, Rachel and Mount-Royal, includes/understands several houses of prestige, with new pavements and many lamps of a force of 2000 candles, making the lighting of the streets very abundant. Delimited in the east by the railway of the Peaceful Canadian, the village is an important zone of factories, slaughterhouses and includes/understands also Shops Angus. In the east, is Delormier Downs racetrack and Montreal Driving Club, become today the Baldwin Park and in north, of the careers where a stone of excellent quality is exploited.
The first Council of city in 1902
The building of the barracks of the avenue of Mount-Royal shelters with its whole beginnings, in 1902, the room of the Council of the village of DeLorimier, the offices of the treasury, the chief of police force and the firemen. Christophe Messier, born in Varennes on February 15, 1857, is elected mayor of DeLorimier first once in 1899 and is re-elected in June 1909 by way of alderman of the new district now annexed to the town of Montreal. In 1908, it places on the DeLorimier avenue and its town council is composed of six presidents and a secretary-treasurer, as illustrated in the following table.
A team of the firemen in front of barracks 26, December 23, 1931. (Files: Jean-François Courtemanche, Montreal Resource Centre for Fire Protection History)
Members of the Council of town of DeLorimier in 1908, placing in the building of barracks 26:
- Christophe Messier, mayor Magloire Labrecque, and president of the commission of the Roadway system
- Joseph Vigneau, president of the commission of Police force and Fire - George Jeffrey, president of the commission of Hygiene and Lighting - Louis D. Latour, president of the commission of the Aqueduct Médéric Lacombe, president of the commission of the town hall and licenses - F.M. Lavoie, secretary-treasurer of the office of the Corporation
- Adélard-Charles Miller, president of the committee of supply
To obtain information about the history and genealogy of Plate-Mount-Royal, Richard Ouellet 514 524-7201 www.histoireplateau.org).
Celebrating the life and times of the de Lorimier Family